Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs

I have a P1728 code showing on my 2001 Dodge Dakota. It also

Customer Question

I have a P1728 code showing on my 2001 Dodge Dakota. It also appears to be slow to shift at times, but that only happens occasionally.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: No leaking. The transmission has around 230,000 miles on it. I had it serviced about 25,000 miles back and the transmission place said everything looked good and that if I continued to have problems that it was probably the shift solinoids.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, if possible. I haven't tried anything yet.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. The problem you are describing may very well be the solenoid concern but it could also be an internal pressure concern due to a worn transmission. In order to determine the cause you are really going to need to do some testing. I have enclosed the test steps in the link below. Have a look and see if these steps will help you narrow this down.