Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

Overheating, slight leak near tailpipe and heater hose

Customer Question

JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: slight leak near tailpipe and heater hose intersection. but coming from above. overheating before low on coolant.
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: grand caravan. 2008
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: refilled and jacked up to find leak.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: fluid comes out of overflow tank.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If the fluid is coming out of the over flow tank with this issue here and you are over heating this is either a fault with the engine thermostat stuck closed needing replaced or an issue with a leaking cylinder head gasket.This type of leak wouldnt be one that causes oil or coolant to leak onto the ground or mix with each other but instead allows hot exhaust to leak past the gasket into the cooling system causing an over heat and excessive pressure issue which forces coolant out of the over flow tank.

If you have not had a block test done this needs done to see if this is the cause here.This is a simple test done by a dealer or repair center that takes less then an hour to do.In some cases you can rent or purchase the block tester from a local parts store to do this testing yourself to see if a head gasket needs replaced.If this tests good then I would replace the thermostat.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,a rating of 4 or 5 is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete