sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

I have a 05 dodge ram 2500 5.9 diesel 4wd. the problem is i

Customer Question

i have a 05 dodge ram 2500 5.9 diesel 4wd . the problem is i was driving and it started to run bad felt like something had broke it stop pulling so i pull off the road and turn it off and it never started back. I put my hand over the exhuast pipe and felt no compression took the small plate off the tranny and the torc converter will turn and i hear no compression build up when i try to start the motor will the cam senssor cause this problem or the camshaft is broken ( i do have twinn tubos and smarty tune of the truck but nothing aggressive.
JA: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: 2005 just had a recall two month ago.
JA: What is the model of your '05 Dodge?
Customer: 2500 4wd turbo diesel
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes if it something like a sensor
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If there is no compression it definitely wouldn't be a sensor issue, only an engine mechanical failure could cause a lack of compression. If all cylinders have lost compression then the only real possibility would be that the valves aren't opening. The engine uses a gear drive timing system and there is almost no chance of a timing gear failure. As unlikely as a broken cam would be, that would be the most likely cause for a sudden loss of compression on all cylinders.

Have you checked for fault codes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have no code showing another I use a smarty programmer scanner should I see some kind of code

Are you able to monitor any data with it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I took the valve cover off to see if the rocker arms would move that are on top of the cam and I recorded it and nothing moved so do that mean my cam is broke