Robert
Robert, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

2007 Dodge Dakota,V6, Missing - code says coil bad cylinder

Customer Question

2007 Dodge Dakota,V6, Missing - code says coil bad cylinder 1 replaced no change, what is the voltage reading going to the coil
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: yes
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced Spark plug and coil
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: this happened a month ago on #6 replace plug and coil and worked fine
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert replied 10 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

What is the actual "P Code" that is coming up?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
P301/P302
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
P0301/P2302
Expert:  Robert replied 10 months ago.

Hello, Sorry for the delay....

If I'm correct, this vehicle has 3 ignition coil and spark plug wires that lead to the companion cylinder. Did you check the spark plug wire and the spark plug in the number 4 cylinder? Either of these can cause this code also....

For now here is the diagnostic chart for this code so you can read though it to learn the possibilities. If the wire and plug are good for #4 then you will need to check the wiring between the PCM and Coil for problems, If all that is ok, the last thing that can cause this issue is the PCM itself.

P2302 Diagnostic Procedure --->> Click Here to view <<---

The P0301 is for the cylinder misfire on #1. Let me know what you find on this and we can go from there..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
this engine has 6 seperate coils(3.7 v6), is there any way to check the voltage coming to the coil?
Expert:  Robert replied 10 months ago.

Ok, good, I needed to make sure because some vehicles have 3 coils that fire two cylinders via a spark plug wire going to the opposite side of the engine.

There is no way to check voltages at the coil connector but the procedure I posted above outlines the proper procedure to test the wiring and the coil. If all that tests out good then the PCM is assumed faulty and will need to be replaced...

Run the procedure or have your mechanic run the procedure and you should be able to isolate the problem...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Assumed is the key word ,it does not seem to miss above 2000rpm,,is there nothing else that might cause this
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If not thanks for your help
Expert:  Robert replied 10 months ago.

There is only 4 things that can cause this code, Coil, Spark Plug, Related wiring and the PCM. There is no way for a technician to test the actual PCM so if all wiring is ok and you already replaced the coil and plug, that leaves the PCM as the only remaining possibility...

At RPM's Higher than 1500 to 1800 rpm the engine is spinning fast enough tho where a single cylinder misfire is harder to detect, in other words, you may not detect a noticable misfire above 2000 rpm's. It doesn't mean that it is not still misfiring. You would need to monitor with a scanner to be able to tell if that cylinder is misfiring above 2000 rpm...