Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2004 dodge ram 4wd 1500 5.7 hemi, no codes showing, check

Customer Question

2004 dodge ram 4wd 1500 5.7 hemi, no codes showing, check engine light on. Truck will start then immediately die. Do not have to cycle key, just start, die. New battery, charged before installing, still start, die. When it dies, abs and brake light come on.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 4 months ago.

Hi. Your CEL is on, but you have no codes stored?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what is cel

check engine light

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
figured out check engine light, yes it is on, no codes
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no codes

There are codes. It's possible that the code reader you have tried just won't read them. In our shop, we have a snapon modis, and there have been many times where our generic scan tool displays codes that the modis didn't display. it's strange but it happens. I would try a different scan tool and see if you can't figure out why the CEL is on. There is a code there that will answer the question we need answered im sure. I am thinking though that it will be throttle body related as the IAC is performed by the throttle body.

IAC= idle air control

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
throttle body purchased at dealer about 8 months ago and installed

ok. why was that done? was this problem occuring before too?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
in cold weather, surged at stop signs until warm. new part did not fix.

Since you have a dodge, you can try to get the code by turning your ignition key to run (not crank) and back 3 times and usually the code will display on your odometer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
tried it, doesn't work

ok. I am going to open this question up then in case one of the other techs has any ideas that will help you. Sit tight and someone should be with you.

Expert:  Eric replied 4 months ago.

HI,

With a Hemi engine, the key method doesnt work, so you will need to have the vehicle scanned for fault codes using a code reader or scan tool. Unless you live in California, you can run it by any major parts store and they will do this for free

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If the truck would move under its own power, I wouldn't be paying you guys.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 months ago.

HI,

Ok, give me a minute to pull a schematic and give you a reset procedure that should work

Expert:  Eric replied 4 months ago.

HI,

In the engine compartment fuse box, pull fuse #51(see attachment) for at least 60 seconds, reinstall and crank engine. It should crank and stay running

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
pulled fuse 51, waited 3 minutes, same thing, start and die. Did not work.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 months ago.

HI,

Ok, at this point, you need to find a way to get the computer scanned for fault codes. Most parts stores have inexpensive code readers for around $50. Some Autozones even will rent them. Without knowing the fault codes it will be guessing on most likely causes - faulty skim module, faulty crank or cam sensor, fuel pump issue, loss of signal to the fuel injectors or coils, etc.