Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

Loud noise when transmission is in idle, depress clutch

Customer Question

Loud noise when transmission is in idle, depress clutch noise stops, noise in all six gears and Idling, vibrations at base of shifter, replaced clutch and clutch pad, and fly wheel. I dont recall replacing pilot bearing. also replace clutch bearing. Transmission has fluid in it.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

Hi Robert,

Did you fit a factory flywheel and clutch assembly?

Many vehicles are noisy with aftermarket parts.

Gary

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Gary, they were after market from parts geeks/
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The bearing for the clutch came with the new clutch pad, I was told it was that bearing and you can't trust those kits because of bearing not lasting. I pulled of the transmission bought a new bearing from dodge. I checked the bearing that came with the kit and it worked it was smooth no binding but I replaced it anyway with bearing from dodge.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Truck has 134,000
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Gary are you there or are you researching, the noise is up by the gear sifter and if vibrates
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have to go email me the answer please.
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

Is your factory flywheel dual mass or solid one piece?

Is the aftermarket flywheel the same configuration as the factory flywheel?

Gary

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it was just like the factory flywheel, could it be the pilot bearing?
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

It won't be the pilot bearing.

Pilot bearing can only be noisy is the input shaft speed is slower than engine rpm, or stopped, ie: clutch in, in gear.

Did it have this noise prior to the work done?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The noise was never their until I put tyranny, I has power in all gears and it can drive highway speed, but the noise is a high screeching sound unless the clutch is engaged no noise, but when it's not engaged noisy.
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

Hi Robert,

Well it is either the throwout bearing, (release bearing or some part of the throwout fork is touch the pressure plate.

Have you had a listen underneath the vehicle, with a friend operating the clutch pedal?

Gary

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The tyranny was shipped from Florida, it arrived drained and it shifted in all gears freely except reverse because it was not connected to clutch. I was going to remove the shifter and use my flashlight to check for metal shavings.
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

Ok, we have transmission swap here.

Well, you have a noisy bearing in the transmission.

Can you drain some oil, and see what is on the drain plug magnet?

Gary

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have done that and no noise when engaging or disengaging, the fork was new, clutch bearing was new it was a mopar part.
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

Do you think the noise is at the shifter end of the transmission?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Have not done yet, I will have to get tow truck and put it on a lift and drain it to check drain plug magnet. I have a buddy who builds cars, he told me it's solid tranny he drove it around the block. He told me to pull of the shifter to check and see if a shift fork was out of place and if I could see shavings in the fluid.
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

Ok, that doesn't sound too good.

Did you get any form of warranty on the transmission?

I'll wait for you to pull the shifter assembly and a look inside.

Gary

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I emailed and called and no answer I spent $985 for that transmission I can't afford to do anything else my truck is going on 2yrs down for something easy. I can't find the receipt for the name of company. but it said in warrenty area was that I had to replace clutch plate and fly wheel, that was my plane any ways.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok it's 9pm here in wasington on the north west coast. I be contacting you at a later date.
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

That's fine Robert.

Good night for now.

Gary

Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

Hi Robert,

How did you go with your problem?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards

Gary