Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 2011 Durango Citadel and the transfer case is in

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2011 Durango Citadel and the transfer case is in Neutral - How do I get it back to AWD?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am hoping to do it myself. I have disconnected the battery.... Turned the key on (but not started the engine) put the transmission to N and then to park.... Started it and shifter to Drive
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: the 2011 has the key FOB in very good condition
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: it all started when my Dog jumped int he car and the Neutral light was flashing. I looked at my manual and it said that meant it was in the process. I followed the instructions to set it to Neutral for towing but the manual says nothign about resetting
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Try this: Start the engine and place the transmission in neutral. Apply the parking brake and step on the regulsr brake pedal. Now use a pen to depress the neutral switch. Hold it in the pressed position for 5 seconds. This should take it out of neutral. Let me know how it goes.

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't see a Neutral button - it's just a light
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
again - its a 2011 Dodge Durango Citadel with HEMI and towing package
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
oh - Hi Chris
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I also tried removing the negative terminal from the battery for 10 minutes to see if it would reset
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if it is a button - it's stuck down
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I never noticed it as a button...(never tried to tow it)
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Should be a recessed button next to the transfer case shift knob. Let me see if I can find a picture.

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can send a pic of the switch - i just pulled it
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Yup that's it. Push that button that says neutral.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
there is no push - is it easy to reset if I take it apart?
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hmmm, then it must be stuck. I have never taken one apart to be honest with you, but hey give it a try. Just be prepared to needing to replace it just in case. Note that this will be a dealer only item. If you can free the button up, then you should be able to get it out of neutral following the procedure I sent. If not, then replace the switch.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

At least it is easy to replace.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
its easy to open - so I can manually push the contact inside and see if that works... so it's engine on - in neutral - hold the button for 5 seconds (and light change?) - then in to park and then drive?
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

: Start the engine and place the transmission in neutral. Apply the parking brake and step on the regulsr brake pedal. Now use a pen to depress the neutral switch. Hold it in the pressed position for 5 seconds. This should take it out of neutral. Let me know how it goes.

Good luck!

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok... I can do those steps - the neutral light then flashes, but it doesn't come out of N
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
do I need to roll the truck?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i got it - pushing the button within manually witht he switch apart
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.
Nice! Hey glad that worked! I suppose that you may want to eventually replace the switch.Glad I was able to help you out. Now would you kindly help me out by taking a moment to rate my service today? I would really appreciate it.Thank you!Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply. I have not heard back after that.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you would please kindly rwte my service from yesterday. If not, please let me know why so I can provide better service in the future.

Thank you!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Oh well, glad I was able to help.

Chris