Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

The rear expansion block is not separating from the ac lines

Customer Question

The rear expansion block is not separating from the ac lines when I try to lift out the hvac box. The nut between the lines is off.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello Ian and thank you for your question,

There should be two bolts that hold the expansion valve to the evaporator tube tapping plate which have to be removed in order for the valve to come off. See step 13 in the link below. Have a close look at the valve and you should be able to see them. Once there removed the valve should come off.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Expansion%20valve%20JUl%2029.pdf

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That page refers to the front unit, this is the rear expansion, I'm replacing the evaporator unit and expansion valve. The are already assembled as one piece. At the back wheel I only see one nut between the ac lines. It looks to me as if there is a metal piece that keeps the lines together and the stud on the expansion valve drops down through this and a nut tightens it all up. The nut is off.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Oh, let me me take a look at the rear for you. I was assuming you where working on the front. Hold on a second, be right back.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When I left the hvac box should it easily separate from the ac lines, could it be leaked ac fluid that is bonding the expansion valve to the piece of metal holding the lines together? if so what should I do to separate them?
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

The lines should come off , have you tried gently tapping on them to see if they will release. If there just stuck that should help get them loose.