Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

CODE PO489 05 DODGE SPRINTER ALREADY CHANGED OUT EGR OVER A

Customer Question

CODE PO489 05 DODGE SPRINTER ALREADY CHANGED OUT EGR OVER A YEAR AGO TROUBLE CODE WAS PURGE FOR OVER A YEAR NOW GOT THE SAME CODE AGAIN.....
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Where was the EGR Valve purchased? Was this a Mercedes part or aftermarket?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Europarts of San Diego and it was a Wahler EGR M/B Part
Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.

At this time, I recommend to remove the EGR valve and clean it with a soapy water solution, clean the valve itself thoroughly, rotate the valve and clean the ports then reinstall it and clear codes and retest. If it returns you will need to diagnose the wiring before condemning the EGR valve.

Here is the procedure for testing, you should be able to test the wiring with this flowchart and the connector pin charts. If you want to do this yourself, let me know and I'll post the connector pin charts for the ECM and EGR valve...

Here is the Diagnostic Procedure --->> Click Here to view <<---

This is the Manufacturer Specific Code Diagnostic procedure that most closely matches the "Generic" code you posted as being retrieved from your vehicle. If you want to be sure about the code and correct diagnostic procedure, I HIGHLY recommend to scan with a FACTORY scanner (DRBIII) or the Mercedes scan tool.

I recommend scanning at the dealer as many of the "Generic" Scanners or Code Readers have problems communicating with Sprinters and due to that, either are unable to retreive codes, or the "generic" codes that are retreived can sometimes be incorrect....

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, the Deposit you have posted with JustAnswer DOES NOT credit me until you leave a "POSITIVE" rating... Please Remember, my answer is based on the information you posted here, so feel free to add any additional information you feel may be helpful...When I have answered your question to your satisfaction, please don't forget to rate my service to complete the transaction...Bonuses are ALWAYS Appreciated!...Need more help? Just ask...you can follow up on this question even after you leave a Rating! If you are not satisfied with my answer, let me know by clicking the "Reply to Expert" Button, and I will be happy to continue helping.