Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified

2012 ram 2500 laramie mega cab diesel, dealer can't figure

Customer Question

2012 ram 2500 laramie mega cab diesel, dealer can't figure out problem. Service 4wd light comes on, which causes the electronic 4x4 to be disabled. no other lights appear. Not the final drive control module, drive train control module, was told not the connections or batteries, not wheel speed sensors. The dealer tried to hard wire (at cost of 500.00), still not fixed.....what the heck could be the problem?
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Last time I took it to the dealer it was showing the following codes but the light was no on C1480 & C140E, this time at the dealer the light is on, but they won't tell me the code(s) or if any are stored.
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

The codes you posted lead to a condition with the Transfer Case Shift Motor assembly OR an internal failure of the transfer case itself. Another cause could be the DTCM. How was it determined that none of the items you mentioned were faulty?

For now I'm posting some info on the two codes you posted. Most likely if the problem is the same as before, the codes are likely the same codes that are stored now. At this time I recommend to run diagnostics according to the following diagnostic procedures to isolate the cause of the problem.

C1480 --->> Click Here to view <<---

C140E --->> Click Here to view <<---

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer! .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They replaced the drive train control module last week, said it would be ready at 3, called at 2:45 and said that didn't fix problem. there is a TSB that relates to 2012 Ram 2500 (service 4wd light) that includes build dates thru I think 1/12/2012, thought that might be issue, but my truck has a build date of 2/2/12 so dealer said that couldn't be the problem. I personally asked the dealer if it could be related to a speed sensor, poor battery, bad connection, TSB. All things I saw as causes from others on a Ram chat board. First I googled "2012 Ram service 4wd light" found several items. Dealer indicated they checked all those and they are not the cause. Just got off the phone with the dealer again, I asked if it could also be a front wheel axle disconnect actuator went over all the other "fixes" I found and was informed no its not any of those. They are still waiting for Dodge to get back to them. Was able to find out that the only code showing is now C1480.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
After they found out replacing the drive train control module didn't fix the problem, they "hard wired" to rule out I guess voltage issues, hard wiring didn't fix it either.
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.

Strange that they are not doing anything with the transfer case shift motor/position sensor assembly. It seems that they should be replacing this part if the wiring and DTCM are both good..

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just spoke to the actual guy working on my truck (not service advisor), who spoke with the "area tech", who wanted him to test a few more items, I advise him about what you said on the motor/sensor & the area tech advised him of the same..keeping my fingers crossed and will let you know.
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.

Sounds good. I'll be here if you need me...

Thank you,

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you paid to use the service. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.