Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

8 pin to Ignition module fried. I have photos (2) showing

Customer Question

8 pin to Ignition module fried. I have photos (2) showing the pin that is fried and I need to know what may have caused it to short out. I have noticed my dash lights work and don't.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: What could have caused the short?
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 1978 Dodge B300 van/Monaco Motor Home
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes and I have traced the wire (now crisp) as described. I have ordered new Ignition and 8 pin connectors.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: the mechanic will know what is missing
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This issue here may have been caused by a short in the ignition module itself needing replaced or an issue with the wiring harness that may have shorted to ground in some cases and caused this damage.I would replace the harness and inspect the rest of the wiring for any shorts or damage needing repaired and have the ignition module replaced as well since it is damaged.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,a rating of 4 or 5 is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would a short in the Headlight switch on the dash have an impact the Ignition module seems unlikely but I thougth I would ask. It may be a separate issue as my dash lights come on and off by wriggling the switch and then this...
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

The short in the head light switch wouldnt cause an issue with the ignition module from what I can see here myself.If your dash lights come on wiggling the switch most likely the switch needs replaced and can be common to fail and cause the light issue here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.A rating of 4 or 5 is appreciated

Thanks Pete