Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

Same problem as this thread. I started off with an erratic

Customer Question

Same problem as this thread. I started off with an erratic shift so I order both speedo sensors even though my speedo worked for the most part. After I changed them both now my speedo doesnt work at all and it wont shift out of second. So, I tried putting the old ones back in and still no speedo and no shifting out of second. I tried checking for a code as you described on this thread and all it said was "done". The check engine light is currently not on but it was before I changed the sensors...but I unhooked the battery while doing it.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

*****I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on*****

The very first step in repairing an issue is to see what's wrong and to do that you will need a scantool to see what codes are in the PCM. If the key trick didn't work you will need a scantool to retrieve the codes. The input sensor is part number(###) ###-####and Output is(###) ###-#### ***** just screw in and if bad they will ohm OL. Do you have a meter to check them? If you can get the codes post the P codes here so I can help you get it fixed..

Talk soon,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just checked the new ones with a meter and they check out fine. I'm going to pull out the old ones again tomorrow when I get off work. I'm also going to try to get my hands on a scanner tomorrow. What puzzles me, is that my speedo worked before I put in the new sensors? From 0-10 it would hesitate then I would get a hard shift into second, after that the speedo worked normal and it went into every gear. Now it immediately shifts to second and stays there and I have absolutely no speedo...even with the old sensors back in it??
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

You may have a broken wire in the output sensor.. It will be an easy fix when we know what codes it has..

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I got a scanner and the first time I tried it I got codes P0731, P0736 and P0700. I cleared them and drove it up the road and re-scanned it and it only showed the P0731 and P0700. So at this point I don't know if I have a bad connection or broken wire at one of the sensors or the transmission control solenoid is bad. Like I said, I only made matters worse when I tried to change out both sensors even though both of the new sensors tested out as ok before installation?