Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years Diag/Electrical Specialist
13677702

I have a 2012 Dodge Durango. I attempted to start it and

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Dodge Durango. I attempted to start it and nothing happened. No electrical power, no engine turnover, nothing. I attempted to remove the key and it won't allow me to take it out the ignition.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Nothing will turn on. I didn't get a chance to check the battery because I was late for work at the time. I just thought it was weird. Usually if it's the battery something would come on, lights would be dim, etc...
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, hoping to fix myself. I will be checking to see if the battery is charged once I leave work. I came here to check to see if this is a common issue and if it could be anything else or if someone has had this happen to them and how they fixed it
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's about it. The truck ran great the night before.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I am Randall,. To lose everything? no lights, horn, etc etc? you have to have one of 2 things, It will NOT be a fuse as many t hings work off different fuses from the battery so,, you are at a totoal dead battery OR what I tend to lean to? a bad battery cable connection. I would grab hold of the battery terminals, best with pliers, try to twist both of them. Still no go? then remove each terminals from t he battery and maybe sand or file the battery posts etc and put them back on.If still nothing? then try a jumpstart as you could in fact have a depleted batterym Rare like you have said thus why I mention battery connections, just no way to lose everything without have one of the 2 things mentioned. I am sure it will go well, please leave feedback for my service provided today, Thanks, ***** ***** you can still return to this same post