Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I just got a new battery 1500 4.7 liter ram. It has stalled

Customer Question

Hi I just got a new battery for my 1500 4.7 liter ram. It has stalled three times today randomly, not necessarily at a turn or at a stop. Les Schwab where I bought the battery thinks the computer needs to be reset because of the new battery? Doesn't make sense to me.
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: I'll have them do that. It's brand new as of yesterday so I doubt it but I'll have them check.
JA: What year is your Ram?
Customer: 2003
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing, it just started today.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no otherwise runs great with 123,000 miles. just had the oil and fluids checkedd and changed.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I have been in the auto repair business for many years and specialize in diagnosing vehicles with problems like this one you are describing. I am confident we can resolve your problem together provided you stick with me and run the necessary tests. Please understand that I don't know your skill level and that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to do my best to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first to make this as simple as possibly for both of us. I just ask that you provide me with the all of the correct information up front and with the most accurate tests results as we move on so that I can point you in the right direction. I would also appreciate a positive rating from you in return for sharing my time and knowledge and expeirence with you in a timely mannner. Even if you rate my answer after the first few replies, we can still continue our conversation at no further cost to you. With that being said, lets get started.

Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1D7hu18n43s134585
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the VIN! Are you saying that this stalling condition only started to happen after the battery was replaced?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just drove home and it didn't happen but I could see the revs drop a couple of times. Maybe the air conditioner cycling?
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

It does take time for the computer to relearn the idle again once the battery is installed. I would give it a few days and it might just clear up. If the problem remains, I would suspect a bad/lazy idle air control motor and or an air or a vacuum leak.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thanks I'll give it a couple of days
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

Your welcome!

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.