bill
bill, dodge master tech
Experience:  25 years with dodge drivability and electrical expert
5203640

Is there any particular fuse to look for ??

Customer Question

Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
On my 05 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi I replaced the O2 sensor with a new one from bank1 sensor 2 and still have p0038 after a reset and cleared the code it came right back as soon as I restarted the truck, would that be a B+ grounding issue or a bad PCM
Expert:  bill replied 7 months ago.

there is NO fuse on this truck for the O2 heater elements you need a decent digital volt/ohm meter to properly test the circuit and some "T" type sewing needles for testing so you don" damage any small terminals, do you have these ?

can you follow a diagnostic procedure if i send a link to the one for this code ? YOU MUST BE ABLE TO FOLLOW IT PROPERLY OR YOU WILL GET POOR RESULTS

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have that meter and can get the needles
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
also could this be caused by the PCM ???
Expert:  bill replied 7 months ago.

YES easily BUT also caused by an inferior O2 sensor and faulty wiring we have huge problems with Bosch O2 sensors, they usually throw the same code or different ones, if for some reason they do work they usually fail very shortly after installation, NGK or Nippon denso make our sensors and they WORK every time

Expert:  bill replied 7 months ago.

here is a link to the diag procedure skip to the part where it has you measure the resistance of the circuit since you likely DO NOT have a dealer or pro level scan tool to actuate the o2 sensor heater if the resistance is in the specified range the pcm is likely the culprit, i have replaced a few pcm's for this code and the root cause is USUALLY a shorted O2 sensor

the link is in microsoft WORD format and can be downloaded and printed for you to follow it os only up a few days so please look it over and save it asap if you have questions about the procedure ASK i am here to assist

https://www.dropbox.com/s/188otfvzzj0h4g1/p0038.docx?dl=0

this site is on the honor system once you are satisfied with the service you rate it, you have already paid to use the site all a rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and that comes out of the fee you paid to use the service

each expert is an independent "contractor" and is only paid for their time when you rate the service 3 stars or higher

any positive ratings allow me to assist you with this question in the future if you need

Expert:  bill replied 7 months ago.

i see you haven't placed a rating as of yet do you need further assistance?

if not please remember