-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

I just bought a 2004 Dodge Intrepid in which the owner lost

Customer Question

I just bought a 2004 Dodge Intrepid in which the owner lost the ignition key it has a dead battery which I can jump off. The switch had to be replaced, however I don't want to pay the tow bill on top of the repair: Would you be so kind as to tell me how I can start it without the key without it shutting down on me. I don't mind if it damaged the current key cylinder as it will have to be replaced anyway.
Thanks,
Brad Richards
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

*****I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on*****

What's wrong with the ignition key cylinder now besides not having a key?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Nothing, but it has been replaced once by the last owner and is different from the door key, so a locksmith said he can't cut a new one and the vin won't pull up the correct key cut.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

OOhh ok I understand.. Ok the only way to start the vehicle would be to have a gray headed key held near the ignition switch so the SKIM module picks it up and then you would just need to turn the ignition. But in your case even if you could turn the ignition then you still wouldn't be able to start it because you need a programmed key. To save you a tow bill I would get the correct key cylinder and drill that one out and replace it with the correct one from the dealership and then just call a mobile locksmith to program you new gray headed key..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Brad

Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Also feel free to request me in the future for all your Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep needs..

Have a great day,

Brad

Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Some how someone's question about a gas tank and a fuel pump got mixed in with mine. I understand your response: The right way to fix it: I don't think you understand my position; this is a $600.00 car at purchase, currently my only means of transportation to work and I'm looking for a quick fix until I can manage to fix the damage to the front end and paint it. So can the relay be removed to bypass the automatic shut down or do I just need to take a hammer and screwdriver to the switch like the guys that stole it from the previous owner they already broke the steering column free, so realistically how much more damage could I do.... Maybe I'll just ask for my money back, I wasn't looking for the text book answer, so can you help or not?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Can I get your VIN to see if you have SKIM keys or not? If you don't then you can bypass it so it will start, but if you have programmed keys there is no way to start it without a programmed key.