Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

I replaced the thermostat in my 2004 Dodge Intrepid 2.7. Had

Customer Question

I replaced the thermostat in my 2004 Dodge Intrepid 2.7. Had to remove the alternator to get to the thermostat housing.
Forgot to tighten the ground wire. but the car started and ran.
After stopping tried to restart and found that the battery was dead so remembered the ground wire which was then tightened.
The car was jump started and ran for a while, but later on the road cut out and is now completely dead.
The battery is reading 13.2 volts and the alternator checks out fine. But the electrical system appears to be completely dead.
Any ideas?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Are you looking for some possible causes or would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can you tell me the possible reason. If I try jump starting the car just draws power from the other vehicle. turning on the ignition key does nothing, everything dead!
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

Possible causes would be a bad connection, bad ground or even a bad ignition switch. I have even seen a bad power distribution box cause this as well. Also, dont forget about the fuses and fusible links.

Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
All fuses have been checked. I was driving the car when it just cut out and was totally dead. Had to have it towed back to my house. All fuses have been checked but electrical system is dead. Unable to get anything electerical to work not even the door locks or windows.
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

Did you check for power at the fuses under the hood? If so how much power do you have?

Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

You most likley just have a bad connection. I would start by checking the battery connections first.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I want a different expert
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I want a different expert.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Different expert please. I am NOT happy with these general answers that treat me as a fool.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Still waiting, else cancel my membership!
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Do you still need help?