sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2012 dodge avenger. Drove it about 120 miles it started

Customer Question

2012 dodge avenger. Drove it about 120 miles it started twice on the trip and now it won't even turn over. When you turn the key the fuel pump starts pumping but I won't engage the starter. Help?
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Key is good I've tried both of them. Sheering wheel turns. We have rolled the car. Moved it to neutral tried cranking in P and N
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've had it on a battery charger all night. And that didn't work. I can't afford to pay someone to fix it
JA: The Dodge Mechanic's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: All I need is an idea of what it might be
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The lights come on. Battery is good. Just will not turn over and crank
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many possible causes for the starter not engaging. You could have a bad ignition switch, it may be a key or wireless control module issue, a wiring, cable or connection issue, a transmission range sensor related problem or the starter itself may have failed. If the fuel pump does run then odds are the powertrain control module is functioning.

Do you hear a click from the engine compartment when the key is turned to the crank position?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No click just the fuel pump

Does the throttle body do a self test when the key is turned on?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Nothing happens when the key is turned on. Lights come on and fuel pump engages that's all

Do you have a scan tool to check for PCM communication?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No

Is the fuel pump actually running continuously rather than two seconds as it should?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Fuel pump is operating correctly. It turns off after a few seconds

You've checked fuses, correct?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
all fuses are good

Diagnosing the problem is going to require electrical testing. It appears that the PCM is in a partially awake state. The fuel pump is still being controlled but if the starter doesn't engage and the throttle body doesn't do it's self test then the PCM isn't controlling either. Based on this information I expect that the PCM has failed but it may also be missing a power or ground feed.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. I had it towed to the shop. We will see what happens now

You're welcome!