Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

I have a 98 Viper that I've had a turbo on it years and it

Customer Question

I have a 98 Viper that I've had a turbo on it for ten years and it just started blowing oil out the exhaust. It's a precision turbo. And I sent the turbo to them and they completely rebuilt it. And I installed a new pump that pumps the oil back to the engine. It still throws oil out of the exhaust. I pulled the pipes off before they go into the turbo and both are dry. Can someone help me ?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

if the exhaust is only oily post turbo and definitely clean before it then the only source of oil is the turbo?

now if the turbo was leaking for some time before it was rectified then its very likely the whole exhaust system is full of residual oil which will take some time to burn off

so I'd suggest to make a note of where the current engine oil level is and then take the car for a long hard drive so the exhaust gets fully hot to burn off any residual oil

if after 20 miles its still smoking then stop and check the oil level

if its been using oil it will have dropped and this confirms that the turbo must still be leaking oil

Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you