Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

Mil light is on.. car wont rev over 3000. feel like fuel

Customer Question

mil light is on.. car wont rev over 3000. feel like fuel starvation
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: no. I tried the key thing but it checks all the lights etc but no number.. I don't have a scan tool
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Dodge Mechanic to figure that out. What is the model of your '1000 Dodge?
Customer: dodge nitro 2009 sx-r
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I can do the basics. changed fuel filter. checked wiring around this
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: when its cold it revs better, but really only likes around 2000 rpm.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

The best thing to do at this point is to scan for the "Diagnostic Trouble Codes" (DTC's) from the onboard computers. The DTC's are used as the Starting Point for diagnosis. They let you know which system(s) the fault is in. This information is of great value for correct diagnosis. As a Technician, my first course of action is normally to scan for the DTC's. If you can obtain these codes, we can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the problem. You can have these Codes read for FREE at your local auto part store (AutoZone, O'Reileys, Advanced, etc.). If you post these Diagnostic Trouble Codes here, I can obtain the most accurate information to help you diagnose the Concern, and then point you towards the correct repair.

Keep me posted...

Thank you,