Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I am really looking Dodge Ram Expert. This says is online,

Customer Question

I am really looking for a Dodge Ram Expert. This says Chris is online, but it wants to connect me to another mechanic that does not seem to have the specific expertise I am looking for.
JA: What year is your Ram?
Customer: 1999
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I will fix this myself. I have tried many many things. It would take much time to list it all here.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I hate this automated response
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1999 Ram 2500 Cummins with Auto trans. FASS Fuel Pump.
I have the dreaded "No Bus" problem. Sometimes I start her up and I have all instruments, and the world is good. She drives like a dream. More so than not, she has no gauges functioning and I have "No Bus" I have had the PCM sent out and tested and it is fine. I have replaced the Crank Position sensor as I was getting P0336 Crankshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance, P1698 and P1690 codes and even after I changed it out, I get the same codes. I have also removed and cleaned the instrument cluster. There are countless documented issues all over the diesel chat boards regarding this with all kinds of solutions that are not solutions. At best they seem to work and then same problem rears it head again. Shame on Dodge.
I also now have the ABS light and Brake light on. I changed out the speed sensor on the rear and still have both lights on.
The worst part is she is not driveable anymore. She will start and run but after a short time, she chokes and bucks. I have to throw it in neutral and keep the RPMs up when braking otherwise she'll stall. Sometimes if it does stall, she'll crank but not start. then I unplug the three connectors from the PCM and she will then start back up and I can limp home if Im close. This is driving me crazy.
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.

Hello, and welcome back! I have seen issues where the wiring harness can rub either near the oil dipstick, or the left front shock area. This has been known to short the bus and take it down. Take a look around those areas and see if you see anything.

Chris

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Chris. At this point, anything is possible. I will give it a look to see if there is any harness contact with those areas.
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.

Ok, sounds good. Let me know if you find any issues with the harness.

Chris

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Its raining today, so I'll have a look at soon as it dries out a bit.
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.

Ok, no worries. I will keep an eye out for your reply.

Chris