Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

Having a no-crank no-start issue on a 2002 grand caravan.

Customer Question

Having a no-crank no-start issue on a 2002 grand caravan. Ive replaced the battery (it was old), the starter relay and took the starter to Autozone where it was checked and found to still be good. Also did some basic checks on the ASD relay and fuel pump relay (both still clicked on an attempted start). I dont believe I hear the fuel pump come on during an attempted start, but to be honest Im not sure I could hear it before the vehicle started having problems.
JA: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?
Customer: My hunch is that there is an issue in the wiring to or from the starter/solenoid. Not exactly sure how to check that
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was hoping to fix myself. New battery is fine. I listed what I have done so far above
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I noticed that some of the wiring had oil spilled on it. Not sure if that can get into the connectors and cause problems, particularly the thin green wire that runs to the startrer/solenoid
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I have been in the auto repair business for many years and specialize in diagnosing vehicles with problems like this one you are describing. I am confident we can resolve your problem together provided you stick with me and run the necessary tests. Please understand that I don't know your skill level and that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to do my best to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first to make this as simple as possibly for both of us. I just ask that you provide me with the all of the correct information up front and with the most accurate tests results as we move on so that I can point you in the right direction. I would also appreciate a positive rating from you in return for sharing my time and knowledge and expeirence with you in a timely mannner. Even if you rate my answer after the first few replies, we can still continue our conversation at no further cost to you. With that being said, lets get started.

Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
VIN is 284GP44392R742036
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for that information. Have you checked for codes in the computer? Does the check engine light come on with the key on?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The check engine light does come on. I have to borrow a code reader, and I will get back to you with the codes
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Sounds good!