Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

DEF service light just came on, we are traveling and now

Customer Question

DEF service light just came on, we are traveling and now says only 150 miles until shuts down to 5 miles per hour. We put fluids in before we left, was about halfway full before we tipped it off. No dealerships are open this late or tomorrow. Is there anything we can do until we can make it home and to dealership
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No, it didn't give us a code and no reader or tool.
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Dodge Mechanic to figure that out. What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2014 Ram 2500
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We have to, there aren't dealerships open until Monday and we are traveling out of town. Haven't tried anything yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's it
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 4 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

How many miles are you from home? Are you near an auto parts store such as an AutoZone or Oreilley's? If so, can you pull in and have them hook up their code reader and scan for codes? Have them write them down and clear codes and post them here. Let me know if they are successful in clearing the codes and keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert