roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

I have questions about the def system in my 2013 ram 3500.

Customer Question

Brad i have questions about the def system in my 2013 ram 3500. It now has 130xxx miles, we use it for hauling boats, within the last 2 months it has been in the shop 3 times for def issues. The truck in now leaving florida and the "service def, see dealer, 5mph max in 193 miles " just came on. The def tank is full. I had the injector serviced a month ago, i had the def pump replaced a month ago. It did get ran down to almost empty yesterday. What do i do to reset this issue?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  roy replied 4 months ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

the code would be good to narrow the area of failure.

in most cases, there is a issue with the regen process. it could be a dpf, temp sensor or knock sensor.

there is no re set. the issue needs to be diaged, repaired and re gened to clear it

Roy

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i need to take it to the dealer?
Expert:  roy replied 4 months ago.

or at least someone who has the equipment to run the testing and can perform the repairs.

with it being a 2013 I would look for help in the warranty side for the repair. even though you have 130k, they may help since they have had many issues with these systems.

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 4 months ago.

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The warranty on the def system is 36k miles, its been to 3 dealers in 2 months for def. The first said the def fluid was bad, charged $577 to clean the system, up in NJ, it made it down i95 to i10 out to Shreveport Louisiana (about) 1200 miles, then the " service def see dealer 5mph max speed in 130miles" came on again. Then the next dealer said it had a bad def pump and the injector needs cleaned, $1200. That was a month ago. Now its doing it again. So there is no way to reset that restrictions and allow the truck to continue rolling, dealerships aren't open for service on sundays so the truck will be down for days again. I have a 13 F350 also, it has had a def issue but doest shut the truck down. All im wanting to know is cant the warning be reset, so i can keep the truck rolling atleast to Shreveport and have the same dealer try to fix it? What if we were out in the desert and the service light came on, would the truck really make us drive a few hundred miles at 5 mph?
Expert:  roy replied 4 months ago.

wow, you really have issues with this.

from your description, it sounds like they are missing the core failure.

do you have any idea of the codes??? maybe on an old invoice????

yes, it will de rate and limit you to 5 mph.

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 4 months ago.

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 4 months ago.

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 4 months ago.

for a 5.4 around 700-800

for the 6.8(###) ###-####/p>

Roy