Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

2006 dodge dakota slt. many engine codes at random.

Customer Question

2006 dodge dakota slt. many engine codes at random. transmission pressure camshaft sensor passenger airbag and more. truck has trouble shifting periodically slips sometimes stalls every once in a while engine overheat light comes on and goes off odb2 reader will always read with engine running but sometimes wont with just key on i just replaced ignition switch and tightened plugs checked all fuses and looked over wiring for frays cant find wiring diagram to track wire from switch to ecm
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: lights stay on and go out while driving
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: been heavy equipment mechanic for over 30 years been out of auto for a while
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: just checking the wires but cant find color codes and diagram
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer!

I am Derek, an ASE certified master technician, and I will be happy to assist you today with your question.

From the symptoms, you are describing it seem the vehicle may have power or ground feed problems to the ecm, or from the ignition switch.

Or possibly a failing ECM, but power and ground will need to be verified first.

I am looking up some wiring diagrams to help you further with your question and will respond ASAP.

What engine is in your Dodge Dakota?

What are some of the fault codes that are setting?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Engine size 4,7. Converter pressure. Cam sensor passenger airbag are most common

Ok if the problem is affecting other systems like the airbag, sorry I did not notice this before. It is very likely the problem could be caused by the Integrated power module. The module is known for its high failure rate.

Here is a diagram.

Check for the power feeds from the power module to the PCM first.

Good morning,

I am just checking back in, did you have a chance to check any voltages from the integrated power module?

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
hi derek to let u know it is running a temp of 110 in my area and i had to buy a cooler for shop to work i found no problems with module odb working when cold lose power on k wire when warm clean all grounds can not see wiring over trans had rear main replaced two times under warranty and think it might have short there i will find out next weekend thank you