Neal, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  30 years experience in Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth

I am having my 2002 Dodge Ram with a 290 5.9 L H.O. engine

Customer Question

I am having my 2002 Dodge Ram with a 290 5.9 L H.O. engine rejected for a smog check. I am being told it is a computer problem that the computer will not reset to the proper specs to pass the Calif. smog test. I am told that I need to drive it to get some miles on it to get it to reset. I have put a 1000 miles on it and it still will not reset. and idea what the problem is and more importantly how to fix it so it will pass the smog test so I can get it relicensed for next year>?
JA: What specifically didn't pass the test? When was your last oil change?
Customer: Im not sure what the are claiming will not reset. but the last oil change was about 6000 miles ago.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just to drive it and put some miles on it. Moss Bros. in San Bernardino said to do that as well as Action Auto here in Running Springs.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I don' think so...
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Neal replied 3 months ago.
Have you had electrical issues? Is the battery possibly causing problems like voltage fluctuation? It might have issues that will affect the computer but still start the truck normally.