Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

4.7 engine stalls at 2300. Rpms resums power when it gets

Customer Question

4.7 engine stalls at 2300. Rpms resums power when it gets below 2300 has new crank sensor throttle pos idle air sensors new pcv and plugs all coil packs are what els could it be a guy told me it was my rev limiter is that right and hoe do I fix it PLEASE HELP. this truck is driving my crazy
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Does it stall while driving? or does it only do this when you rev it in neutral?

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It stalls while im driving im haveing problems with overdrive when od works it runs fine because I would have to run 90 to hit 2300rpm lol when its not in od I hit 2300rpm at 55. When it started doing this my cruse control stoped working
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Are any codes being set? And when it stalls, is it a gradual loss of power or is it like you just shut the ignition off?

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When its in park it rev and stops rev and stop continuously when im driving it starts chugging till I let of and slow down a little I cleard the codes 2 weeks ago now its throwing back ssmall emission leak random missfire still geting a crank sensor malfunction code an oxy sensor some kinda heater thing in bank 2 a low barometric pressure and the tranny codes silanoid c and f and tranny control madual or something like that but those where there before the only code im geting since this prob.started is that random missfire code I did a fuel pressure check its good and held pressure for an hour it held pressure till I disconnected the gage
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Ok, this may be fuel related. Can you connect your fuel pressure gauge and duct tape it to the windshield? Then drive it and wwtch the fuel pressure when it starts to act up. You may have a fuel volume problem. If the pressure drops off then suspect a faulty fuel pump. Try that and get back to me.

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok will do thanks. Do you not suspect the control module?
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Not really. I have never seen a control module cause that type of symptom to be honest with you. Let me know what you find.

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did what you said the pressure doesn't drop the needle just jumps a little it shows 56 on the presure my book has 2 specks 47 to 51 with 3 elect.con.and 56 to 60 with 4 elect.connectors I assume I have the one with 4 dont know how to check that but the presure is constant when it starts chugging the needle just jumps a little. Is this problem electrical?
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Ok, that is good pressure. So we can rule out a fuel delivery problem. It must be electrical then. I see you replaced the crank sensor, but did you also replace the camshaft position sensor?

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No but I repleced the crank sensor a few months ago when I did a filter kit in the tranny I pushed it off the ramps and it wouldn't start it just turned over but wouldnt start so I bought the bosch obd1100 analyzer it showed crank shaft sensor malfunction it still wouldnt start so I put it in the shop they got it running gave me paperwork with a list of things that it needs but it didn't show what they did to get it running. Dont know if it will help but beforehand it used to start instantly now it has to grank over for a few seconds before it starts. Should I replace the cam sensor I can send you a list of the code numders if you think it will help. Im lost i dont what els to do
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Yes replace the cam sensor. I have seen issues where the cam sensor can short out internally and cause a crank sensor code to set. Do send me the code list. And when you replace the cam sensor PLEASE purchase an OEM Mopar sensor. I have seen issues where the aftermarket sensors can act up.

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thanks chris ill let you know what happens send you that list later
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Sounds good!

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hay chris I replaced the camshaft sensor no help here are the 10 codes I got on the analyzer in the bottom left of the screen it shows confirmed in the top right all but 2 shows mod 10 don't know what it means maby you can tell me. Po129 barometric pressure to low mod10. Po315 crank shaft position system variation not learned mod10. Po456 evaporative emissions system leak detected very small leak mod10. Po760 shift silanoid c malfunction mod18.p2706 shift silanoid f mod18. Po300 random multiple missfire detected mod10. Po700 transmission control system malfunction indicator lamp request mod10. Po480 cooling fan 1 control circuit malfunction mod10. Po335 crankshaft position sensor a circuit malfunction mod10. Po52 heated oxygen sensor heater control circuit high bank 2 sensor 11.That them. Hope its helpfull. Whats next?
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Wow that is a lot of codes. If you clear them out and drive it, which codes come back?

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The last time I did i drove it 20 miles to orelys they checked it with a better analyzer and all it showed was the small emissions leak and the random missfire. Ive put a few hundred miles on it since now its giving me these 10 I just cleard it out im guna drive it a few miles and check it again ill get back to you
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Ok, sounds good. I will look for your reply.

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I got back 5 po315 po700 po335 p2706 po052
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Ok, besides the 2 transmission codes, you have something going on with that crankshaft position sensor circuit. When you replaced the crank sensor, did you use an OEM Mopar sensor or an aftermarket one?

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Probably aftermarket guna put the original back on and see what happens im working 2nd shift this week let you know what happened tomorrow
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Sounds good my friend!

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry it took so long to get back to you its been raining allot I put the org.crank sensor back in no help any suggestions
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hmmm, ok. well let me see if I can find some diagnostic procedures for those codes later today when I get home.

Chris