-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

2006 dodge Durango 5.7 won't start. Turns over but won't

Customer Question

2006 dodge Durango 5.7 won't start. Turns over but won't start. Just replaced a coi pack and two plugs under that coil
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Yes engine turns over. Battery Is under a year.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes gotta do it myself. Can't afford mechanic. Haven't done anything but replace bad coil and the two plugs under that coil.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Oil light is on ,but oil is fu
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

Why did you replace the coils, did you test and confirm they were bad? Does the coils have a constant 12v and a ground pulse? What codes are setting in the PCM?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Replaced the one coil because the top of it was melted. And had something sticking out the top. Haven't checked the rest of them yet.
PCM? When I turn key on engine light and spark (lighting bolt in perenthises) start flashing. Engine light flashes about four or five times and the other one flashes from fourteen to twenty times.
What hgapperned was I pulled a vehicle aboiaboiut six miles with no problems. The next day my wife went to go to work, she drove about half mile to gas station( we run !I'd grade) she called and said truck running rough . She brought truck back to house, a!most . She stopped at stop sign a block from house and she said that the truck just died and she saw black smoke from under hood. I went yo truck , looked under hood and the second coil on drivers side was melted on top and hgad something poking through. Now it just cranks and cranks. Like its not getting fire.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We run mid grade gas. Oil is full. And we put SeaFoam in it every other tank.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.
What codes are setting in the PCM?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Pcm? What is that? If your talking the codes the dash is sending out, not sure. I do not know how to read them. The engine and spark(lightning bolt in parenthesis) are flashing roughly 20 times apiece.Together. I'm suppose to have someone to run obd scan on it today.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Yes in order for me to see what's going on I will need to know what P codes are in the PCM with a scantool. Post them here so I can get an idea on what happened.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you , Sir. As soon as this guy comes by with the obd scanner I'll post the codes.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK. Sorry it took so long. Finding someone willing to lend me their obd scanner was a challenge of it's own. There are two codes showing - p0700=transmission control system-mil request@ p0562=system voltage low.
After getting the codes, the mechanic, who obd scanned it, tryied starting it and got it started . It ran a minute or two before the same coil pack I just replaced, melted again.
Engine ran roughly, then it,the coil started smoking and we shut the motor off.