Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified

2007 Dodge Sprinter Diesel. Key wont turn. Took switch out

Customer Question

2007 Dodge Sprinter Diesel. Key wont turn. Took switch out and opened. A small copper colored lever fell out. Cant fit it back in. Small electric solenoid is not engaging. Once I press on the solenoid I can turn key but no dash lights, no start.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

At this point you will likely need 2 parts to fix this concern... The most likely cause for the ignition switch not turning is due to failure of the Steering Column Lock assembly. When this fails, the ignition won't turn. Since you opened up the ignition switch and now pieces are not installed properly you will need to replace that also. Unfortunately both items require special programming when replaced. This programming MUST be performed at the dealer as the factory scanner is required to do such programmming.

I have some information on the steering lock and requirements for removal of the Steering Lock assembly.

--->> Click Here to view <<---

The way this system works is that when you insert the key, the Ignition Switch (EIS Gateway) detects if is is the proper key, if it is, it sends the "Unlock" signal to the steering column lock. The Steering Column lock unlocks the steering wheel and sends the signal that the steering wheel is unlocked back to the EIS. Once EIS receives confirmation, it unlocks that little solenoid to allow the key to turn and to allow the ignition to turn on and start the vehicle.

Usually when you don't hear the "Buzzing" sound of the steering column lock when initially inserting the key it means that the column didn't unlock and the key will not turn...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Here is that other Document that is referred to in the above posted document.

--->> Click Here to view <<---

I'll be here if you need additional info...

Thank you,

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you paid to use the service. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.