Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

2003 Ram 1500 4.7L 190,000 miles just replaced all coil

Customer Question

2003 Ram 1500 4.7L 190,000 miles just replaced all coil packs, fuel pump and TPS.... runs pretty good but it doesn't fel like it has it's full "balls". i noticed this when accelerating to highway reached 70 and I let off the pedal to maintain speed. when my speed decreased a little, I depressed the pedal slightly to rergain speed and the engine had a "shudder" as if not firing on all cylinders. I pressed the pedal harder to hit passing gear and it regains "strength" but when the transmission hits OD and the RPMs drop it loses its "balls" and has a sluggish feel. Now, just city issues. This seems to be something that occurs during highway conditions.
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: New fuel pump
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Are you reading my posts?
JA: No. I'm the Dodge Mechanic's Assistant.
Customer: read the clearly states what I have done and what is occurring.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's all that I can think of....perhaps he will have an idea and ask but I think I've given a clear picture of my problem, thank you.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also, no "engine check" light.......this began when I changed the plugs and the #7 cylinder coil pack failed.....because they were factory it was my decision to replace the entire set. Before this, never any issues and my Ram had BALLS....put your foot down and it'd go!....
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also, because of the new coil packs, fuel pump and TPS, I wanted the PCM to gather fresh and accurate data on engine performance so I cleared the existing data using the procedure of removing the PCM fuse. I'm sure it's nothing catastrophic but I'm all out of ideas and I need my truck running at 100% efficiency....please, help me resolve this issue.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 3 months ago.

dose it only lose power at highway speeds

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That is only occurs during highway conditions.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
in OD the RPMS drop to about 1800 @ 65.....when I depress the pedal to accelerate it becomes sluggish (like it boggs down) but as soon as the the TCM drops to passing gear the motor perks up.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Check Engine light just came on!!!
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 3 months ago.

do you have a code a reader

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It reads #7 cylinder......