Dan, Technician
Experience:  2 Year Auto Diploma and Database Access
17871496

2006 Dodge Ram 2500. DTC P1222. What are common causes. I am

Customer Question

2006 Dodge Ram 2500. DTC P1222. What are common causes. I am journeymen Diesel Mechanic. Just not on dodges. I am on vacation and had this code and went into limp mode. Cleared DTC and same came back again. First time I was under no load coming to long rolling stop.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** code indicate excessive fuel return from the injectors. Check the injector return flow. The limit is 6 oz per minute with the engine at idle. Make sure to separate the return fuel from the high pressure pump from the injector return fuel. Try re-tightening the fuel connecting tube nuts. Torque the nuts to 37 ft.lbs. If that doesn't help then replacing injectors is next step and a common problem. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Fuel connecting tube nuts under valve cover? If those are leaking wouldn't have have fuel diluted oil? Does the computer monitor fuel return rate? Or do I actually need to remove the fuel return line and measure?
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.

Yes they are under valve cover and would eventually dilute the oil. You will need to remove return line to measure. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.