bill
bill, dodge master tech
Experience:  25 years with dodge drivability and electrical expert
5203640

Have a 2010 Dodge Charger SX with a knock or rattle. It

Customer Question

Have a 2010 Dodge Charger SX with a knock or rattle. It occurs when idling and is worse when the AC/Fan are turned on. Disappears when the engine is revved or when driving.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Just started. Noise is coming from the bottom rear of the engine compartment.
JA: What is the model of your '10 Dodge?
Customer: SX 4 Door Sedan. 85K miles
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. Took it to a local mechanic (Meineke) who told my son the engine was a 'junk' engine and the rods were shot. This was based solely on the noise as they did not pull the Oil Pan that I am aware of.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No. I do have an extended warranty on the drive train but would need to take it to the original dealer (3rd party) for any service for coverage.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 4 months ago.

what can we do to assist you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
As I noted I have a 2010 Dodge Charger SX that has developed a knocking or rattle. The knock occurs only during idle and disappears when the engine is revved are when driving. It also worsens when the AC (and fan) is turned on.
The noise appears to be from the bottom of the engine.
Expert:  bill replied 4 months ago.

and another shop has determined a high probability of bottom end failure correct?

if so how can I assist?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can you confirm that this is the likely cause and possibly explain why the sound would only be during idle and worse (noticeably) when the AC is turned on?
Expert:  bill replied 4 months ago.

I or any expert would actually need to hear the noise, and depending on which of the 3 available engines you have lower end failure IS NOT common on a properly maintained engine (oil changed every 4 to 5 k and checked regularly between oil changes), the FIRST step here is remove the serpentine belt (accessory drive belt) and see if the noise is still there IF it IS then the engine must come apart to determine the damage and root cause, IF NOT then one of the accessories (a/c compressor, idler pulley, alternator, water pump on the HEMI ONLY, the other V6 engines have a internal timing belt or timing chain driven water pump) is causing the noise.

you did say you have an extended warranty you're going to have to have the car diagnosed to see if the warranty covers the failure, you WILL need any and all receipts for maintenance as well

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok. Thank you.
Expert:  bill replied 4 months ago.

the shop you enlisted should have AT THE LEAST checked the oil level, and removed the belt before condemning the engine, the problem here may be the shop you said meinike, in all my decades in the auto business I have NEVER had a good experience with any chain shop, they tend to hire lower skilled techs and pay them in a very aggressive way, which DOES NOT bode well for any unknowing customer, I usually recommend a branded dealer OR BUSY independent repair shop they have the better techs and keep them trained well