Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

Will crank then shut off, sounds like no gas move ment, not

Customer Question

will crank then shut off, sounds like no gas move ment
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: not a hog, but started smelling gas in the cabin sometimes, and would take a second to start sometimes
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2004 Ram 1500 Hemi
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was hoping I could LOL. but my battery went completely dead as well so I just removed the battery and I'm attempting to search for the fuel filter. at least thats what the tow truck guy said look for
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

*****I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on*****

Will it start and run or not? Is the check engine light on and if so what codes are setting? What is the fuel rail pressure?

Talk soon,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It starts but wont hold, and my battery totally drained
Expert:  -Brad- replied 3 months ago.

It starts but won't hold? Do you mean it won't stay running? What codes are setting in the PCM? And are you going to get a new battery or have you drained the battery from starting it so many times? Have you checked for spark and fuel psi?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It won't hold the start. I don't have a code reader, but the fuel level shows half a tank when I attempt to place a battery jump
Expert:  -Brad- replied 3 months ago.

I'm not sure what your trying to say when you say" Won't hold the start" Do you mean the starter will quit engaging, or will the engine start and run but stall out? We have to have somewhere to start and the first place is to see what codes are setting. It could just a bad sensor but we won't have no idea unless you can read the codes.. Have you tried cycling the key 3 times to see if any codes appear in the odometer?

Are you going to be repairing this yourself or are you just looking at what maybe the issue?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have to get a new battery first
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But yes the truck would try to start, and begin to turn over then just completely shut down
Expert:  -Brad- replied 3 months ago.

Ok I would get a new battery and then see what codes it has and post them here so I have an idea on what is going on..