Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Washed my keys 2006 dodge charger se, tried to go somewhere

Customer Question

Washed my keys for my 2006 dodge charger se, tried to go somewhere this morning and it would crank, but have high rpms, then shut off, after a few more tries, it wouldn't do anything, got second set of keys and now it will crank, but shut off, but the rpms aren't high, almost like a normal crank except for shutting back off
JA: Any trouble turning the key in the ignition? Do you have a key fob?
Customer: No problem with turning the key, key fob, yes, never replaced the batteries
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Absolutely trying this myself, lack of funds, basically just trying other set of keys, I had a 99 Montecarlo that did basically the exact same thing
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It has 317,000 miles on her, original owner, nearly no mechanical problems with her
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think I misunderstood the question about a key fob, I have a key with lock, unlock, trunk release, and panic button
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

*****I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on*****

Do ou see a red security light on in the dash? If the check engine light is on what codes are setting?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
on the red light, but goes off as normally, don't know the engine code
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Cancel the call
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the reply!!

If the red light goes out then it's not a security issue and most likely an engine issue. I will need to know what codes are setting in order to get a good idea on what is going on and how to help you get it fixed.. You will need a scantool to read the codes..

Talk soon,

Brad