-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

My auto gear shift on my 2006 dodge cummins is hard to move

Customer Question

my auto gear shift on my 2006 dodge cummins is hard to move sometimes .what could cause this ?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

*****I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on*****

First you need to see where the issue is and to do that I would set the parking brake and pop off the shifter cable at the transmission and then shift it and see if it's better, if yes then you have a valvebody issue which is common and you will need a new rooster comb or valvebody.. If it's still hard to move then you will need to disconnect the shifter at the steering column and then shift it to see if the cable it froze up. It's most likely a valvebody because that is what we see mostly at the dealership..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
how big a job is that and what cost ?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what is a typical charge to replace rooster comb or valve body ?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

We usually get rated for the original question before any follow up's...

But we charge 3.0 hrs labor at the dealership to replace the valvebody which is #330.00 plus parts.

Have a great day,

Brad