Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

I have a 1991 dodge ram pu,was driving down the ghway and

Customer Question

I have a 1991 dodge ram pu,was driving down the highway and all of a sudden it just died,didn't stumble just died,,I am getting fuel but no spark,,these are the things I've changed so far,,cap,rotor,asd relay,steering column(tilt,was gonna change anyway),,there's a thing in distributor with 3 wires that I replaced also,tried a pcm from another Truck also,don't know what else to try???please help I am not getting any spark!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

How about the coil? You should have voltage on the coil and if you ground the other side of the coil you should have spark on the middle wire on the cap. You need to check for voltage at the coil, and let me know what you find.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help, then we can continue this conversation. If not, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Remember, I do not get compensated for my time helping you unless you rate. If you feel the need to rate less than 3 stars. Please let me know why and how I can help you more. Thanks Dan

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've replaced coil also but didn't even check the voltage,let me check that and get right back with you
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Ok

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Also check the crank sensor and the ignition control module.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

In my experience, the most common component failures, of the ignition system that cause a no start no spark condition are:
Ignition coil, Crank sensor, Distributor cap.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Location of crank sensor and ignition control module??
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

crank sensor is on the bell housing of the transmission. http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=49654&cc=1100260&jsn=9

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I've checked all along bell housing and no sensor or wires from bella housing there's some wires going to the back of transmission that looks a sensor but maybe the speed sensor?also no module,I've checked all along fire wall and fenders?could there be some where inside for this module?and I have 12v on coil+ and when I turn key I also have voltage on neg??is that normal?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

There should be a ground on one side of the coil, and power on the other. The ground is what triggers the coil. You could have a problem in the wiring causing the voltage to backfeed on the ground side.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Someone told me it might be the (pick up) but I think they said it's in distributor?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Yes its in the distributor.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

Posts close in 7 days. That means you will not be able to contact me on this question.

You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Please use the 5 star rating system at the top of the screen, it would be appreciated.

If you feel the need to rate less than 3 stars, please let me know why and how I can help you more.

I do not get compensated for my time and resources unless you rate me.

Thanks Dan

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My apologies but this truck has no crank sensor or control module,which I'm having to change the whole distributor this afternoon as I was told those go bad but if doesn't work then my last resort is change out wiring harness or look for bad connection somewhere?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Let me know how that goes after replacing the distributor. What size engine do you have?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok,,,,and I know it's a V8 but don't know number size??
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

There should be a sticker under the hood its an emissions sticker it should say the size.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Um no sorry this is a old Truck with no kind of stickers ,,all I could offer you is a vin number
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

The 8th digit of the vin will tell me the engine.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The 8th digit of the vin is Y, ,,,,I just changed the distributor and pretty much the same thing? I'm thinking it's a wiring problem but how can I check those 2 wires from coil?coil has + and - ,,when key is on there is no power on + but when I crank there's power on both??
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

One side of the coil should have voltage the other should have ground and it should pulse ground, the ground is what fires the coil. If you have power on both sides while cranking you could have a short back feeding into the ground.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Could that be pcm related or wiring or both? How can I check this?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Here is a wiring diagram, Yes is could be a bad pcm but that is rare, more likely a wiring problem.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I see the wiring diagram but what do I test or can I bypass wiring from coil and wire from coil to pcm??,,,well the negative right and the positive I can just
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Run a jumper wire on the negative side of the coil to ground. see if you get a spark. Then check the ground signal out of the pcm connector at pin number 1