Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

My son has a 2000 Durango 5.9L 2WD. It will crank over but

Customer Question

Hi, my son has a 2000 Durango 5.9L 2WD. It will crank over but will not start. We have checked the fuel and the asd relays and they check out ok. I have placed a fuel gauge on the fuel rail and jumped the relay and it pumps to 50lb. We have noticed that when you turn the key to run position if the gas gauge does not move it will not start, if the gauge shows 3/4 full which is how much gas is in the tank it will start and run for 10 to 15 min and die. Sometimes it will start backup and sometimes the fuel gauge shows empty and will not start. Have not replaced anything yet after reading other post people are replacing parts but no luck or they are not telling if they fixed the problem. I am thinking the crankshaft sensor have not reached down the back of motor to unplug the sensor yet.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: yes can turn the steering wheel, and I do believe the key is ok
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We did get a P code once P0921, P0922, and P0999
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Yes would like to fix it ourselves since cant drive it
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 4 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So as to be able to better help, I need a little more info. When it doesn't start and fuel gauge doesn't work, do you get a "no bus" message across the "dic" the mileage area?Let me know and I'll continue to help.Thanks
Sonny
Do you still need help with this?
Please let me know.
Thanks
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny