-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

My ac is not cooling at all, just in the front, 2004 dodge

Customer Question

my ac is not cooling at all
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: just in the front
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2004 dodge gran caravan 3.3 v6
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i dont know..
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: first I need know whats happening
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Hi im kevin have you checked gas level ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just in the front , I went to autozone an I bought a fuse test and gas. No I need check the gas yet
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the rear Ac is working fine
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the compressor in the motor is working fine
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Ok im going to opt out i didnt realise listing was a caravan and dont have info another tech will assist

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok, I wait here ?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

*****I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on*****

So your saying the rear a/c is cooling fine but the front is not? if that is true then your freon level is fine and the compressor is working because they both share the same freon and compressor. If the front is not cooling then when you switch from Heat to Cool do you feel a difference in air flow and temperature? if not then you may have a bad Blend door(Hot/Cold) actuator or the door itself..

Let me know,

Brad

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the compressor is working..because the rear a/c is working..
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when I change from heat to cool i feel difference..
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I bought a fuse test, but maybe the fuse is ok, because the rear a/c is working , right ?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
or not because they have separate fuse front and rear ?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Here is the location of the blend door. It's mounted on the side of you look under the steering column. #6 is the blend door. Can you tell me if it's moving when you switch from Cold-Hot?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
blend door ?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
just a minute
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
its moving when I switch cold to hot
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you there ?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.
Ok if the actuator is moving then the blend door is broken and the dash will need to come out to replace.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
But the blend door is not to hot air ?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
my A/C system is working fine , cold and hot in the rear , just in the front is not working, I think the problem is A/C motor front
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Brad
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Sorry for the delay!!

Ok so is the front blower motor blowing air? By reading your question it sounded like it was blowing hot air, but you said you think it's the blower motor.. If it's not blowing any air out then ball up your fist and give the blower motor a whack and see if it starts working. If it does then your brushes are bad and you will need a new blower motor, if it doesn't work then I will need for you to test and see if it has 12v and ground..

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Its not blowing any air in the front, the fuse is ok, I need check resistor and blower motor, I think it make sense.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Did the blower start working when you hit it? Does it has 12v and ground?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, the blower doesn't work
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Does it have 12v and ground? If yes you need a new blower motor, if not reply back and I will get a wiring diagram of the resistor so we can test..

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi BradSorry for my late answer, the resistor is ok. I followed all your instructions and test, the problem is blower motor.I found this is ebay.http://m.ebay.com/itm/New-Blower-Motor-Front-Town-and-Country-Dodge-Grand-Caravan-CH3126107-4885475AC-/371631128358?nav=SEARCHI just need know how to change.Let me know if I need pay for the next step.I think I have your diagnostic already, to send your review.Thank you
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the reply!!!

Here are the directions for replacing the blower motor:

REMOVAL

WARNING: On vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in an accidental airbag deployment and possible personal injury or death.

NOTE: The blower motor is located on the passenger side of the vehicle under the instrument panel. The blower motor can be removed from the vehicle without having to remove the HVAC housing.

1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the passenger side cowl trim panel
  3. Position the carpet to access the front upper screw that secures the air inlet housing
  4. Remove the recirculation door actuator
  5. Disconnect the blower motor wire lead connector from the blower motor resistor or power module, depending on application.
  6. Remove the one screw (from the top) that secures the lower air inlet housing to the upper air inlet housing.
  7. Remove the four screws (from the bottom) that secure the lower air inlet housing to the upper air inlet housing and the lower HVAC housing.
  8. Push the rubber grommet through the opening in the lower air inlet housing.
  9. Route the blower motor wire lead through the opening in the lower air inlet housing and remove the lower air inlet housing from the vehicle.
  10. Position the recirculation-air door as necessary to access and remove the three screws that secure the blower motor to the lower half of the HVAC housing
  11. Gently flex the recirculation-air door downward to gain access to remove the blower motor from the HVAC housing.

NOTE: To aid in installation, note the position of the blower motor mounting tabs prior to removal.

12. Remove the blower motor from the HVAC housing by rotating and tilting the blower motor as necessary

This is one of the not so easy ones because of the recirc door on the bottom of it...

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Brad