Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

My 95 dodge dakota is not getting fuel. I replaced the fuel

Customer Question

my 95 dodge dakota is not getting fuel. I replaced the fuel pump assembly with a new one and it still is not getting fuel. I put a test light on the plug above the fuel tank (unplugged) and the light comes on only on the blue green wire when the key is turned on.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: It is in park up on jack stands
JA: What year is your Dakota?
Customer: 1995
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have switched fuses and replaced the fuel pump assembly
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: it is not getting fuel at the valve in the fuel rail while cranking the motor.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Randall C replied 8 months ago.

hello, engine size?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
5.2

had to step out, working on it now, Back shortly

ok, can you please send all wire colors to your sending unit/pump unit, Blue/green is not a feed wire to the pump

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
1) Green/black, 2) blue/yellow (this one lights up with the key on), 3) blue/black, 4) black, and 5) black.

ok, that is different, you wrote blue/green with key on so, probe the green / black while cranking, Pump power is NOT with key on, then LMK

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
While probing the green/black wire while cranking no light came on.

ok,. I do not have a diagram showing fule pump relay, I think? it is #5 in the under hood fuse box, Does anyhting on your end show exact location? here is a picture

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
5 corresponds with the fuel pump relay

remove it, probe each and all terminals relay plugs into while CRANKING, how many have 12 volts

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
With fuse removed three empty slots light up whether cranking the motor or not. the fourth does not light up either time.

ok, unsure at the moment. I do have to step away shortly for the evening, I will be back a bit later, I am going to opt out and open the post to the other experts. If none can help? I will pickup where we dropped off upon my return

Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. With key ON, does the check engine light come on? and do you have 12 volts to the GREEN/ORANGE wire at any fuel injector?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The check engine light comes on briefly when the key is turned on but goes away. There is no light when probing the green/orange wire at the fuel injector.
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

OK do you know where the ASD relay is under the hood?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
if that is the same as the Auto Shutdown Relay. It is labelled.
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

The ASD relay provides power to the fuel pump relay, as well as the fuel injectors and the Engine computer, which is why the check engine light probably goes out. Barring a problem with the ECM or an odd wiring issue, I believe the ASD relay is at fault. Do you see a relay identical to it you can swap it with temporarily? (don't swap it with the fuel pump relay) to see if it runs after that?

Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

A/C clutch relay, see if you can swap it with that one.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I switched it with the A/C clutch relay. No change in results. When probing the empty slots on the ASD relay I get one light with key off and three with the key on.
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

If you swap it with A/C relay does the check engine light stay on then? and do you have power to the fuel linjectors? or same result?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
same result
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

Can you check power on the fuel injectors when cranking to see if you have power to them then?

Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

Here is the diagram, showing the ASD grounded by the ECM. I'm starting to think this ECM may be bad. If the check engine light only comes on for a second with key on and goes out. Does the ignition switch seem to turn on everything in the dash and heater etc.?

Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

diagram.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There is no light while probing the fuel injector and cranking the motor
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

Did this truck die going down the road? or just wouldn't start after you parked it?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
One day it just wouldn't start.
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

OK, with key on, can you pull the fuel pump relay and see if you have power to 2 of the terminals?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
only the blue/yellow one lights up when the key is on.
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

OK, that is a problem, the RED/WHITE should light up, check the 30 amp fuse D in the power distribution box, make sure it has power on both sides with the fuse in.

Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

you have you test light clip on ground correct?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It only has power to one side of the fuse whether the key is on or off.
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

But with the fuse in, can you touch the top of the fuse and both sides light up? the fuse is good correct?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When I took the cap off the fuse both sides light up.
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

pull that fuse and replace it. I think that is the problem or the connection. does it run with both sides lit up and your relays back in?

Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

Did that fix it?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have to go get some.
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

Alright, sounds good. let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think the smaller fuses are fine. I will replace the big ones though. I also notice there is no spark at the coil. I am starting to think it is the ECM.
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

power to the RED/WHITE wire at the Fuel Pump Relay comes from the 30 amp fuse D per the wiring diagram. Do you have power to 2 terminals at the fuel pump relay with key on yet?

Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

Hey, thought I would follow up, We're you able to get power to the RED/WHITE wire at the fuel pump relay?

Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

It may be the ECM, but I don't want to condemn it just yet until we know we have power everywhere we are supposed to.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Here is a pic
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I only get power to the blue/yellow with the key on. There is no red white wire
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

Interesting, My wiring diagram must be wrong. Let me opt out in case another expert can assist. Thank you.

Expert:  Clayso replied 8 months ago.

Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

I've been following along with this conversation and what I see, there is power only on one of the fuel pump relay terminals where power should be present on 2 of the terminals. The fuel pump relay should be #5 in the Power Distribution Center (PDC). From your description it sounds like you got power from the 30 amp D fuse to the red/white wire, but no power on the red/white wire at the relay. The red/white wire at the relay is the supply and the dark green/black is the load circuit to the pump. Just off from the PDC about 12-16 inches is a splice S115 in the red/white wire that is most likely corroded and not powering the ECM, ASD and fuel pump relays. The link below is the splice location located on the driver's side inner fender.

S115 Location

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time. Let me know that you find power at any of the red/white wires at the splice.
Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will check it out and get back with you soon. I have to get it running but will be tied up for a few days.
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 months ago.

That's cool. I'll be here.

Thanks for letting me know.

Clayso

Expert:  Clayso replied 8 months ago.

Hi there,

Just check to see if you had a chance to check the red/white wire at the splice. The link below shows three places that the red/white wire should have power.

PDC Circuit A14 Red-White Wire

The circuit number is ***** and a test light would be best to check for power at these locations. Simply remove the ASD and the fuel pump relays and check the B terminals for power.

Let me know what you find

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have power at the 30 amp fuse. I have power at the A terminals on the fuel pump relay and the asd relay when the key is on and that's it.
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for getting back to me. With no power on the B terminals, I'd be all over the S115 splice. Once the splice is found verify there is power going into and out of the splice. If the splice checks good the PDC has failed internally. In my experience I've found the splice more often than the PDC for failures.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What is the PDC
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 months ago.

Power Distribution Center. Basically the underhood fuse box.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. Mine has been cracked for a while. Are those hard to rewire?
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 months ago.

You can open the PDC and see if circuit A14 is corroded. Circuit A14 will have the red/white wires and you may be able to determine the relays location in comparison from the top to the bottom. If there is no power at the splice on any of the wires the problem will be in the PDC. If you do open the PDC take some good pictures top side and bottom side and send them to me, I may be able to see any problems.

Hope this helps, let me know.
Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The splices look good and I have power at them. I changed the coil and am getting gas at the fuel rail but no spark. I checked the distributor cap and rotor and they seem to be good. I will give you a good rating if you can help me solve the problem. I need to get this vehicle running again!
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 months ago.

Do you now have power on the B terminal at the ASD relay?
Is there now any power on the green/orange wire at any of the fuel injectors?

I'm not sure if moving the harness around changed a connection anywhere and started powering the fuel pump.

I can speed this up with a premium offer. I can offer a premium service for 5 bucks and continue this conversation through regular email and or the phone, which ever works best. I can provide diagrams and technical information specific to this problem for this vehicle. Regular email is so much easier for sending technical information, diagrams and images. It's also straightforward for you to send me images. I'm kind of confused as to how the fuel pump started getting power. Please accept my offer for 1995 Dakota A14 Circuit so I can better assist you.

Let me know if you now have power at the ASD relay, at any of the injectors and about my offer. This premium offer will give me a positive rating and moves this conversation off this forum and into plain email so I will be able to call you and find out what all changed the fuel pumps operation.

Let me know

Thanks