Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

I have a 2001 Dakota quad cab, 125k mi, 3.9v-6, automatic.

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Dakota quad cab, 125k mi, 3.9v-6, automatic. When the engine is cold it will miss, sputter and sometimes stall out. Once the engine is full warmed up, it runs great. Shutting the engine off for as little as 5 min and then restarting it I will get the same runnability problem. One mechanic thinks it is the computer breaking down, and another thinks it is the catalytic converter. By the way the truck sets a converter code and if I try to run it before fully warming up, it will also set a misfire code in right bank. The vehicle has recently had new fuel pump, cap rotor wires, IAC, TPS. No improvement. Any ideas?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand u can assist you with your question. This problem is most likely not related to the computer or converter.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.
You could have leaking injectors, burned or leaking valves or a bad cam/crank sensor causing both this rough running and stalling condition when cold.