Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech

I have a 2013 dodge journey. it will not start and shows

Customer Question

I have a 2013 dodge journey. it will not start and shows "service AWD"
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: yes it turn over. I have never replaced the battery and purchased it 2 years ago
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no everything has been fine. just had the oil changed 4 days ago no problems until this morning
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. The "service AWD" message tells me that the vehicle's BUS communication system has a problem. The BUS network is like the vehicle's internet. All of the computers on the car use this BUS network to talk to each other. If the BUS goes down, then strange things can happen including a no start. This is something that the shop or the dealer will need to diagnose with their scan tool. One area we have seen issues with is the connector at the ABS module connector (Antilock Brakes). I have seen water get into that connector and cause BUS communication problems. The ABS module is in the right rear corner of the engine compartment. So if you are mechanically inclined, you can check that. Try a battery disconnect/reconnect. Disconnect the negative battery cable for 2 minutes and reconnect it. See if it will start. If it still will not, then get the car towed to the dealer and have them diagnose this with their scan tool.