Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

04 Durango won't crank, acts like battery is dead but it's

Customer Question

04 Durango won't crank, acts like battery is dead but it's new. New starter. I can jump relay pins and it cranks
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Nate replied 4 months ago.

is there a security light on or anything like that? sounds to me it could be a bad ignition switch or wiring between the ignition switch and the relay.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sometimes the dash lights work and when they do there is a red dot that blinks and I've never noticed it before. I'm not sure what the security light would be
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Would ignition switch cause it to act like dead battery and nothing work even lights?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The other day it shut off while driving and had no electrical power everything was dead. I turned key on off a few times then everything powered back up.
Expert:  Nate replied 4 months ago.

have you checked the battery connections to make sure they are clean and tight? if the battery and connections are ok then replace the ignition switch

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
all good. Will try switch
Expert:  Nate replied 4 months ago.

sounds good let me know if you need help replacing it, i maybe could get you instruction for replacing it

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've already got it pulled apart
Expert:  Nate replied 4 months ago.

Wow you're quick! let me know how it works out.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Switch didn't fix it. I unplugged all the connections on the pcm then plugged them back in and cleaned ground by the pcm now it works. I think the people is going out though cause the headlights go dim at idle and the oil light is coming on at idle. Checked oil and it's fine so I replaced the sending unit with no success.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there a way to test pcm without a drb3?
Expert:  Nate replied 4 months ago.

are there any codes in the PCM related to a security fault?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No codes that turn on mil. Will a regular code reader pick them up if mil isn't on? Is there a way to disable the security or bypass it?
Expert:  Nate replied 4 months ago.

i would scan it anyhow. a regular reader will at least give you the code number