Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

A/c works but will switch to heat by itself, level is fine,

Customer Question

a/c works but will switch to heat by itself
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: level is fine, system slightly overcharged. no leaks
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 1999 ram 1500
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: several comments online indicate accumulator switch
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

*****I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on*****

Are you saying the HVAC unit will blow Hot air by itself as in the blend door is moving or are you saying the a/c will blow warm at time which would indicate an issue with the a/c system? What are the low and high side pressures when this happens?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It will blow cold then switch over to heat all by itself. I don't know the pressures but I think the a/c unit is overcharged