-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

It is in a crank/no start condition. There is injector pulse

Customer Question

It is in a crank/no start condition. There is injector pulse but no spark at any plug and none from the ignition coil. There is ground provided to the coil thru the 2 wire connector but no voltage from the pcm can be verified.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: The crank and cam sensors have been replaced.
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: I have a battery charger connected and charging most of the time.
JA: What year is your Charger?
Customer: It is a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 P/U. 5.9L 4x4 Auto.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am an ASE L1 Master Auto Tech. Just looking for some intelligent input here......
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Unless I've missed something here, I've already thoroughly explained everything.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

*****I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on*****

The coil needs a ground pulse from the PCM, and a constant 12v from the ASD relay. So your saying the coil does have a ground pulse but no 12v on the Green/Orange wire? I have attached the wiring diagram to help. Can you remove the ASD relay and tell me if pins 30 and 86 have 12v, then see if pin 85 has a ground to actuate the ASD relay..

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. Good to know. I have a good scanner and checked codes/data. No codes stored. I do have 153 rpm when cranking.I was right in my thinking then. The people pulses ground......I'll check the asd relay pins and get back in a bit.Thanks!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Pcm pulses ground. Oops.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok.I have power at pin #3 in the pdc for the asd relay. I'm thinking that is post 30 on the relay. No ground provided at pin #1 from the pcm. Post 85. KOEO.No power at pin #5 (86), obviously due to no ground command.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 11 months ago.

What codes are active in the PCM?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hang on a sec.Up to this point, none. I'm checking again now.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No active or pending codes.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Brad.What do you think so far?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Brad.You still with me?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 11 months ago.

Sorry for the delay!! Busy day at work..

I attached a picture of a relay pinout. This is very important to test correctly so we know for sure what pin has what to get this fixed.. Can you retest the relay and tell me if pins 85 has a ground, 86-12volts, 30- 12 volts when cranking. You need to remove the relay and look at what pin would go into what slot and test the slot. Take your time and let me know what you find..

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've already done all of that Brad.The pcm is not supplying ground to close the ASD relay.My thoughts are to verify continuity from the pdc to the pcm for the ground signal to close the asd.If there is continuity, then there is an issue with the pcm.Now. Are there any tsb's or campaigns concerning a spike to the pcm? (Ignition switch? Pinched or abraded harness points? Anything?)It died while driving and has never refired.Anything that Chrysler has seen that I can verify before concluding a peace replacement, tow to dealer for a flash?I need to know the pin # ***** the pcm, supplying ground to the asd please. Plus anything else.......Thank you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Before concluding PCM replacement. Oops. Autocorrect.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the reply..

Ok so if pin 85 does not have a ground when cranking and you have 153 RPM cranking then the PCM is receiving the signal it needs and it's most likely bad since it stalled on you.. The PIN 85 is a Dark Blue/Yellow wire that runs to the C3 connector at the PCM on pin pin 3. I have attached a wiring diagram so you can ohm the wire and test for ground at the PCM to verify.. Here is the pins label:

POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE C3 (GAS) - BLACK 32 WAY

CAVCIRCUITFUNCTION

1C13 18DB/ORA/C COMPRESSOR CLUTCH RELAY CONTROL

2--

3K51 18DB/YLAUTOMATIC SHUT DOWN RELAY CONTROL

4V36 18TN/RDSPEED CONTROL VACUUM SOLENOID CONTROL

5V35 18LG/RDSPEED CONTROL VENT SOLENOID CONTROL

6--

7--

8K199 18BR/VT (CALIFORNIA)OXYGEN SENSOR 1/1 HEATER CONTROL

9K145 20DG/PK (CALIFORNIA)OXYGEN SENSOR DOWNSTREAM RELAY CONTROL

10K106 18WT/DGLEAK DETECTION PUMP SOLENOID CONTROL

11V32 18YL/RDSPEED CONTROL SUPPLY

12A142 14DG/ORAUTOMATIC SHUT DOWN RELAY OUTPUT

13T6 18OR/WT (A/T)OVERDRIVE OFF SWITCH SENSE

14K107 18ORLEAK DETECTION PUMP SWITCH SENSE

15K118 18PK/YLBATTERY TEMPERATURE SENSOR SIGNAL

16K299 18BR.WTOXYGEN SENSOR 2/1 HEATER CONTROL

17--

18--

19K31 18BR/WTFUEL PUMP RELAY CONTROL

20K52 18PK/WTEVAPORATIVE EMISSION SOLENOID CONTROL

21--

22C20 18BRA/C SWITCH SENSE

23C90 18LG/WTA/C SELECT INPUT

24V40 18WT/PKBRAKE SWITCH SENSE

25T125 18DBGENERATOR SOURCE

26K226 18DB/WTFUEL LEVEL SENSOR SIGNAL

27D21 18PK/DBSCI TRANSMIT

28D2 18WT/BKCCD BUS (-)

29D20 18DGSCI RECEIVE

30D1 18VT/BRCCD BUS (+)

31--

32V37 18RD/LGSPEED CONTROL SWITCH SIGNAL

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you Brad.I'll get back with you when I verify all of this. And certainly will take the time to rate.Have a great weekend!!
Expert:  -Brad- replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome!!

And you can still reply to me if needed after the rating..

Brad

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Awesome!
Expert:  -Brad- replied 11 months ago.

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Of course.I'll be tackling this deal in couple of days and get back with you. You've been a great help.Thank you.(Perhaps you could help me understand. I noticed an extra charge of $23.00. Perhaps I should subscribe? I do see value to continuing a "relationship" here. Considering my occupation).Any advice you could offer is welcome.ThanksJason
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Oh....btw.A "small" detail I didn't mention.....I have fuel pressure and plenty of fuel in the tank.(I've been reviewing our exchanges....)Thank you again.Jason
Expert:  -Brad- replied 11 months ago.

Jason is you have fuel psi and no spark then the PCM is seeing a signal from the crankshaft sensor then you have a bad PCM. I would suggest to replace it to resolve your issues..

Have a great day,

Brad