rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

Why does my 2001 dodge ram,3.9engine, V6 5speed, stop

Customer Question

Why does my 2001 dodge ram,3.9engine, V6 5speed, stop running @ red lights, just leaving home, in traffic, around the corner my 15 mintues can be almost a three hour trip ??, Getting tired, just started about a month now, 173000, miles in it ?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you today.

Before we get started though, please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see,smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so patience is appreciated.

My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for my time.Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

In most cases, it's the idle air control motor that allows it to stall at idle. You can take it off and try to clean the carbon out of it and clean the throttle body as well. If this doesn't take care of the problem, that part may be bad and you can also confirm this with a scan tool.

Thanks, Ron