Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Dodge Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Dodge Diagnostics

It is a 2006 dodge magnum. the check engine light has come

Customer Question

it is a 2006 dodge magnum. the check engine light has come on and off. I have changed the gas cap and ensured that the air filter is covered. I have also noticed that the transmission is slower. just wondering what it could be
JA: Does the light stay on solid or does it flicker? Any noticeable performance problems lately?
Customer: it stays on. it was coming and going for about a week, but now it is constant from the start of the vehicle
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I can feel that the trans gears may be slow after a stop but no hard gear changes
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: the fluid level was checked after an oil change and i was told it was okay. just looking to see what it may be, but i am sure that i cannot fix this myself. looking for understanding before i seek a mechanic
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 months ago.

Most Dodge models, 2000 and newer, with a digital odometer can run a self-diagnostic. Let's give it a try....

Get in the vehicle, and close all the doors. Without starting the engine, cycle the ignition ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON within 5 seconds. Where the odometer is should now be displayed "p-codes" (ie. P0123) - Can I have these codes?

Make sure to end in the ON position, and do it quickly- within 5 seconds.

If you don't get it on the first try, cycle the ignition OFF. Wait 10 seconds. Try again. On your first try, it can be tricky!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry Ron, I was at work when I posed the question and I took the train in for work today. am I able to answer this later on this forum?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 months ago.

Absolutely! This thread stays open for as long as you need it to. It'd help us a TON to have those p-codes. There are literally hundreds of parts and sensors monitored. Many of them can cause the symptoms you describe. Those p-codes will more accurately point to the part or sensor that has the problem and from there, the correct diagnosis and repair can be made. If you cannot get the codes using the method above (which you should be able to), you can have the p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced, etc). Once you have those codes, reply back to this thread and we can pick it right back up from here!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hi! Ron Z again! I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating , so I wanted to check in and see how you made out? Did you happen to have those p-codes read? Were there any other questions you had on this? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to leave a rating, please take a second and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A session. Thank-you!