Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

Generic random misfire code, occasional thumping from

Customer Question

generic random misfire code, occasional thumping from passenger side engine, have code reader and reset check engine light. changed rotor, cap , wires and pluges 20k miles ago. Could it be rocker arm or spring that might be causing check engine light? engine runs rough also, and has 100712 miles
JA: Have you seen the misfire code before? Has the car been stalling?
Customer: misfire code once no stalling, had a number 6 misfire code but that was before changing wires, etc.
JA: What is the model of your '98712 Dodge?
Customer: 1500 slt
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes octane buster fuel injector cleaner, trouble didn't start until I used Valvoline fuel injector cleaner, had used other fuel injector cleaners before that and no problem
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
could a clogged injector cause "random misfires"?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
call me at *************, if not available please leave message.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
waiting for a response more than 10 min.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

A clogged/restricted fuel injector is most common since this issue occurred after using injector cleaner.Most likely the injector cleaner free up carbon but caused the carbon to block passages in the injector ports.I have seen this occur before and the injectors had to be professionally cleaned or in some cases the affected injectors replaced.I would have the injectors tested with the proper test equipment (injector pulse tool and fuel pressure test gauge) to locate any at fault needing replaced or professionally cleaned.

This causes a lean engine running issue which causes the misfire and can cause a misfire knock.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete