rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

Not starting, No the engine doesn't. Battery is like 10

Customer Question

Not starting
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: No the engine doesn't. Battery is like 10 years old
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2004 1500 5.7 hemi 4x4
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just charged the battery
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: When i first noticed the problem the lights were flashing and the alarm wasn't working but when we tried to jump it the flashing stopped
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you today.

Before we get started though, please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see,smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so patience is appreciated.

My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for my time.Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

A 10 year old battery would send up a red fag for me, so first have it charged and load tested. While that's getting done, check the cables for tightness and corrosion at both ends. Lastly, check the starter for excessive draw.

Thanks, Ron