Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

My 2006 dodge durango4.7 never passed half on

Customer Question

My 2006 dodge durango4.7 never passed half on temperature,until towing now fluctuate between half n 3/4 occasion over heat,no leaks replacd thermostat and radiator. Cap
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working?
Customer: Replaced thermostat
JA: What is the model of your '06 Dodge?
Customer: Limited 4.7
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I stated previously
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

They are sometimes bad about the radiators clogging up and causing an overheating. That may have been the original problem that caused an overheating.

However, with any engine that runs hot, overheats or has been overheated it is best to check the integrity of the engine, (head gaskets and heads, etc.)

The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. Make sure that it’s full first. There is a tester for that, that you can get from Autozone for about $20. They will normally lend you the tester and you just buy the fluid for about $8. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.

Block tester available is:

Napa BK.(###) ###-####/p>

Part Number:

*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures***

If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either and not smoke out the exhaust.

If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Jerry I have checked the integrity of the gaskets as well as belts can and hoses I ordered a radiator
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

You did the block test?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sir I have no legs but my cou2did it with the blue fluid it never done this until I towed a vehicle
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

I see, thanks. I must have missed that in the original post.

I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, also DON’T RATE THE ANSWER yet, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.