Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
27644750

2011 dodge ram 1500 put key in wont start nothing all lights

Customer Question

2011 dodge ram 1500 put key in wont start nothing all lights work radio ect. put new battery in also just in case. moved from park to neutral thinking it may be safety sensor nothing. tried to start with factory remote start wont start. pushed all fuses in same thing swapped on ignition relays same thing, removed w27 fuses put it back in same thing. I am at a loss now.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: engine does not turn over brand new battery
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked fuses, replaced battery, put in neutral thinking it was safety sensor
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hemi 5.7 engine
Expert:  Lou P. replied 11 months ago.

Hello, so the first thing we need to make sure is that if we jump the starter if the engine will crank. are you comfortable with jumping terminals in a fuse block?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
wanted to add I was driving the truck parked it and then went back into 10 min later then this occurred
Expert:  Lou P. replied 11 months ago.

ok how long has it been sitting without cranking?

Expert:  Lou P. replied 11 months ago.

so lets access the starter relay in the front engine bay fuse box, remove the relay and tell me what numbers are on the bottom of the relay next to each terminal.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 11 months ago.

and i appreciate the extra info, the more i know what you know the better i can assist. that is ALWAYS HELPFUL

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I drove it yesterday for about 30 miles parked it started it drove home them parked it went back out 10 min later and this problem occurred. prior to that the vehicle has been sitting for about 30 day
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have 65k miles on it
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i am not buy the truck can you give me things to check i am at work now.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i swapped out the starter relay with another one in the fuse box and the ignition one also this morning.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i checked the fuses anything to do with starter or ignition and they were all good.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 11 months ago.

ok let me compile a list of a few things to try, you can always reach me back here as well anytime by replying back. so no worries you will not lose me.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 11 months ago.

so on the bottom of the starter relay we are looking for terminals 87 and 30, if you cross those on the fuse box where the relay terminals insert then the starter should crank the engine. if your relay does not have those numbers it will most likely be numbers 3 and 5. there are only 2 types of relays and numbering systems. if the starter does not crank then when the relay terminals are jumped you need to check for power at the solenoid wire of the starter. if it has power the starter is bad. let me know if this helps.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I know the relay has four connector
Expert:  Lou P. replied 11 months ago.

they all have 4 :)

they are all just number differently

one was 1-2-3-5

the other has 85-86-87-87a-30

Expert:  Lou P. replied 11 months ago.

the numbers dont represent the amount of cavities they represent the terminal designations.